Sunday, July 12, 2009

What's In A Name?


Well hello again! You came back for my third blog post! Thanks, I just love you for that! Kind of like moth to a flame, bees to honey (or bears, which ever you prefer), like a dog to a bone, like a Hollywood brat to an Oscar, you came back. You love me, you REALLY love me! Well off we go!

When last we blogged, we had gone back in time to summer 1999 and we had just picked up Alexis from the breeder to take her home. Of course our little canine alien didn't know her name yet and I should mention that up until my Alexis name brain flash, her AKC registered name was Voyager. What can I say, the breeder had a thing for Star Trek or Star Wars or Battle Star Galactica or Pigs in Space, I dunno! But all her pups were named after the series. Oh yes! some of the other puppies' AKC names were Live Long N Prosper, Red Alert, Stargazer and Seven of Nine just to name a few...and her fathers name was Kobayashi Maru. But I don't imagine that the breeder was calling out to them as "Voyager, Red Alert, Live Long and Prosper, come and get a cookie" or anything like that. Needless to say Alexis didn't answer to any name just yet. Her breeder suggested that we use a short nick name like "pup-pup" in a high pitched voice when trying to get her to learn to come when called. FYI, having chopped up hot dogs in your pocket doesn't hurt either! So while she learned to bond with us we used pup-pup. "Here pup-pup!" "Good pup-pup!"

Like every pet name I've ever had for my animals they evolve and morph themselves into other nick names. Ok, they don't morph themselves; it's my over active brain that does all the work but still. Here's some crazy examples for ya! My cat Zig-Zag has several aliases and BUHlieve me, he knows them all for there is hope, with every call out, that a tasty morsel might be on the other end. Besides, he thinks he's a dog but that's a story for another blog. Anyway, If Zig was on America's Most Wanted, his list of a/k/a's would rival Santa's naughty/nice list for sure and would read something like this: Zig-Zag Kitty, Kitty Burrito, Fat Kitty, Kidgy, Boop Kitty, Upsidedown Kitty, Coo-coo Kitty and Coo-Coo-Machoo. My other cat, Tiny-Tim, just has one nick name; Tiny Kat but he seems ok with that. Then there's my late Yorkie, Cornelius T. Lovejoy, who had many nick names over his 15 year life; Schnooki-bum, Corndog, Corndognelius, Buddy Boy. My dad even had a nick name for him; Seargent York. Annabelle Lee Vixen, my 12 year old Yorkie, has a litany of nick names too; Annabelly-Feet-so-smelly (which is actually Dave's brainchild), Fancy Pants or Fancy Britches and sometimes Fancy Bitches but also Fantasy Pants because when my niece was young she would pronounce Fancy as "Fantasy". Annabelle is also sometimes referred to as Patty Pissy Pants...no explanation needed!

Just to expand upon my insanity for you, even my daycare and boarding dogs have been given nick names. (Oy this is gonna be a LONG blog post!) It goes something like this:
Bailey H: Little Bailey, Bailey Bump and Bumpy Lump
Bailey W: Big Bailey
Boomer: Boom-Boom
Brady: Barr Brady and Bo Brady
Cassie: Cassy-Q
Cazzy: Cazzy Boy
Cinnamon: Cimanum and Cinny
Cocoa & Dakota: Cocoa-Wee and Kota Face
Cody & Daisy: Codeeee and Daisy-BunnyRabbit-Jackolope
Daisy Mae: Miss Daisy and Dazy Mazy
Dory: Dory Dory Blaze of Glory
Duncan: Dugga-Dugga
Emily: Miss 'Em and Emery
Ginger & Marianne: Gingie and Mara'ane
Hamlet and Shyla: Hammet and Shy-Shy
Libby: Libby Gurl
Lucy: Loosey-Goosey
Magnus and Lili: Magnish and LillyBillz
Max K: Maxy boy
Max L: Me-Mi-Mo-Maximus
Mocha: Mocha Face
Monty & Roxie: Drooley-bum and Rocks
Oscar: Oscarbibble
Patriot: Patey and Pay-Pay
Pippi: Pip-Pip and Pipster
Puddy: Puddin Head
Remy: Ding, short for Rema-lema-ding-dong
Roxy: Roxycute
Ruby: Booby-Boob
Sadie: Shady Banana
Sammie: Sammie So-So
Sassy: Sassafrass
Seirra: Sahara
Shadow: Pant-Licker and Mr Beasley
Sonny: Sunny-Bunny
Teddy: Tigger
Ty: Tie Bow/Bow Tie
Willow: Willy-Whistle
Wrigley: Wiggly

Why, even I have nick-names...My dad used to call me "Half Pint" when I was a little girl as I frolicked down the flowery hillside in my gunnysack dress...oh wait, that was Little House On The Prairie, never mind! But you can see what I mean about the name-morphing. So it goes without saying that Alexis' Pup-Pup nick name has been morphing for some 10 years now...let's meander down memory lane and see what other monstrosities Amy's brain has come up with, shall we? Somehow Pup-pup became Fup-Fup (I'm not sure how we jumped from P to F but it's the letter from which most future nick names for Alexis spawned)...so then Fup-Fup became Fuffa which turned into Fuffa-Noo (thanks again, Dave) only to later become Folena and that became Folena Phalandri (sort of a spoof of Pheobe Buffay's alias character on the show Friends; Regina Phalange...No, not her Princess Consuela Bananahammock alias.) Then Folena become Flibbity Jibitz...then that became Flim-Flam and that later morphed into a rant of Folena-Flim-Flam-Flibbity-Jibitz along with a pat on the head any time we crossed paths in the house. If she's so inclined, she might also answer to Lexi, Lexi-lue and My Pretty Pony (again, don't ask! I should really just start each blog with a "don't ask" disclaimer.) Boy, spell checker is going to have a field day with this blog post!

OY now that i see all this nick-name-nonsense in writing I appear to be a certifiable loon! They're coming to take me away! But c'mon people, tell me you don't have silly pet names for YOUR pets? Don't scoff! In fact, let's hear from you in my comments section about your silly pet nick-names!! Don't be shy...See if you can out-do crazy Amy the dog lady! OOPS i just gave myself a nick name! LOL

I'm skipping today's current event mention. I am, instead, dedicating this post to the late "Whitey" Neal who recently went to doggie heaven. Our thoughts are with the Neal Family.

Until my next blog, I leave you with this: "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face".

WOOF! WOOF!

7 comments:

  1. I love the blog, I may be bias but the content seems very interesting. ("Monsters lead such interesting lives") DAVE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! And we do have nick names... Dublin is Dub Bub or Dub and Whitey was always Whitey since it is his actual nickname from his racing name of "Rooftop Whitey" Thank you for dedicating the blog to our dear friend! We miss him SOOO MUCH, it is actually hard to believe how much. Although we miss him, we now remember him and all the fun times we had. RIP Whitey, you will always be the best!
    Beth Neal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy! Nice blog. Just had to say that at home Mocha is nicknamed Mocha Latte but with the current big hit song...I love Mocha Face!! Very cute.

    April

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy this post has confirmed what I already knew. You are the perfect person to be taking care of my Boom-Boom! I am a nicknamer too. Boom-Boom is currently Boom-Boom-Pow and you should hear some of the nicknames I have given to my girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!! That was a HOOT!!! Great blog. I can't stop laughing, and Willie Whistle is, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chloe....mama, mama loo, zsazsa....Sam....samuel, mister, handsam(get it)handsam?? handsome pants, cuteboy.....buddy.....budster, naughty, special needs puppy....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your Blog Amy. Really loved the videos, especially the one with Willow, my Grandma Dog. Keep it up. You have another fan.
    Cheers,
    Queens Mom

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME YOUR COMMENTS! If you dont have an account "anonymous" is the easiest way to do it, just sign your name so I know who you are! Thanks!